• Skip to main content
  • Emergency Contact Number :-00291 7660394

  • flag
  • flag



Do I need a visa to go to India?

Yes, all foreigners need a visa to enter India.

Can I get a visa on arrival to enter India?

Eritrean citizens need a visa before taking a flight to India. Visa on arrival is presently not available.

Do I apply for a visa to India?

Applications have to be made online by going to the following link: Indianvisaonline.gov.in. Thereafter, the duly filled application forms have to be printed out and submitted to Embassy at the following address.

12/14, ZIP 172, Adi Rosso,
Campavolo, Near Nyala Hotel
Asmara (Eritrea)

Can I send the visa application to the Embassy?

No, all applicants must submit their applications to the Embassy in person. However, those applying for Medical visa should ensure that the medical attendant is submitting the application on his/her behalf. Other visa applicants, if not physically present, should invariably send a letter of authorization with his/her representative submitting the application.

What is the normal processing time?

If all the documents are in order, the normal processing time is 1-2 working days for Eritrean Passport and additional 3 working days for foreigners who are not resident in Eritrea

I want to visit India for tourism/to attend a friend’s marriage/ to meet my friends. Which visa should I apply for?

You may apply for a tourist visa. Details can be viewed under Tourist Visa.

Can I study in India?

Yes. India offers various educational opportunities. You are welcome to get in touch with our officer in charge of educational matters. You would need a valid student visa for a recognized university/educational institution. Details may be seen under Student Visa. For detailed information, you are advised to come to the Embassy in person.

Can I work in India?

Yes. With a valid employment visa.  Conditions to be fulfilled may be viewed under Employment Visa.

I travel to India frequently for business meetings/to explore opportunities for partnerships with Indian companies. Which visa should I apply for?

You may apply for a business visa valid for multiple entries along with the requisite documents as detailed under Business Visa. A Business Visa does not permit you to work in India. In case you wish to work in India, you should apply for an Employment Visa.

I will be changing flights/airports in India to travel to my final destination (say Nepal, Thailand etc.) Do I need a visa to change flights/airport terminals?

You need to apply for a transit visa if you are going to change from an international terminal to a domestic terminal of any Indian airport or if you are going to stay in an airport hotel even for a few hours. You don’t need a transit visa if you stay in the waiting area reserved for international transit passengers in an Indian airport. Note that you can stay for a maximum period of 72 hours in India on a transit visa. You should have a confirmed air ticket for the onward journey.

I have to participate in a Conference/Seminar/Workshop in India. Which visa should I apply for?

You should apply for a Conference Visa to enable you to participate in the Conference/Seminar/ Workshop along with invitation letter, details of the Conference etc. Clearance from the competent authority in India is required.

I will be going to India for work/employment along with my family. Which visa should I apply for?

You must apply for an employment visa along with the requisite documents. Once your visa application is approved, your spouse and children may apply for dependent employment visas in case they are accompanying you on your stay in India.

My application and passport have been submitted and it has been a while, how can I enquire about the status of my application?

Please call on landline + 291-1- 111103 to check the status or mail on conswing.asmara@mea.gov.in.

How do I know when my passport is ready for collection from the Indian Embassy?

Please call on landline + 291-1- 111103 to check the status or mail on conswing.asmara@mea.gov.in.

Will the visa service fees be refunded?

No refunds. Fees once received would not be refunded, even if the application is withdrawn or service denied due to any particular reason.

I wish to visit certain areas in India like Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland etc. Can I obtain a visa to visit these areas?

A tourist visa is not sufficient to visit these areas because all of these regions in India are restricted/protected areas for which it is necessary to obtain a Restricted/Protected Area Permit (RAP/PAP). This permit can be obtained in India either from the Ministry of Home Affairs or FRRO concerned after entering India with a tourist visa. You can visit certain open areas in Sikkim for a maximum period of 15 days in case you request a ‘special endorsement for Sikkim’ at the time of applying for your tourist visa.

I have to travel to India on an emergency. Is there any extra charge for the same?

Emergency Visa is granted ONLY for genuine medical and humanitarian emergencies which are subject to verification and at the discretion of the Embassy.
In addition to the normal visa fee, an amount of Nakfa………..

I will travel at a much later date. Can my visa be issued to coincide with the date of travel?

No. Post – dated visas are not issued. The validity of the visa begins from the date of issue.

Can I confirm all my travel bookings before getting the visa?

It is always better to confirm travel bookings only when your visa is under process and likely to be granted.  Visa section will indicate this after checking your application and documents.

From when does the validity of a visa begin?

The validity of the visa begins from the date of issue. This cannot be postponed to a later date.

Can I apply for a visa to India through the Embassy of India, if I am outside Eritrea?

Yes. If you are outside Eritrea you are advised to approach the nearest Indian Embassy/Consulate in the country of your residence.

If I fill out a visa application form for a minor who has to sign the application?

Either of the parents can sign visa application form for a minor if the minor cannot sign.

Do I need to come in person to submit/collect the passport?

Yes, it is necessary to come in person. However one can send his representative with an authorization letter along with the receipt for collection of the passport.

If I have to make a comment or a complaint regarding visa services, where can I send it?

You can send an e-mail to the following addresses:

conswing.asmara@mea.gov.in  The complaint can also be copied to hoc.asmara@mea.gov.in